The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

If you can't get to Texas...
My husband and I miss Texas. We miss the barbecue, the people, the open road, the whole life style and our families. We can't get there any time soon, so we did the next best thing. I know I am really behind in my blog but over Father's Day weekend we tasted Texas in our own backyard. Hubby calls me from Lowes to ask me a questiona and makes an off hand remark about how much he would love to buy a smoker. So I said that since I hadn't gotten time to buy him something (this was on Saturday of that weekend) he should just buy it and I would pay for it. So he did. I have never seen anyone so happy to have a new toy in my life. It was like he had died and gone to smoker heaven.

So he put it together. Then there was another trip to get wood chips, charcoal, and new lighter, and a huge piece of cow. This man loves his brisket and he wasn't wasting any time thinking about what the first thing would be to hit that smoker. I guess in his mind it was a given. I, on the other hand would have done a pork shoulder or a picnic. I love pulled pork, but since I wasn't in control, it would be brisket. I didn't take any pictures of the cooking process, but maybe another time. I just wanted to show you the meat. It was fabulous. It had that nice pink ring around it and it had a nice smoky flavor. It tasted like Texas to me.

This baby weighed a ton and took nearly 6 hours to smoke, but trust me it was well worth it. Half of it is in the freezer because we just couldn't eat it all in a few days.
You can see the pink around the outter portion of the meat. I hear that's a good thing, but since I know squat about smoking I will take the Food Network's barbecuing chefs word for it. I could care less about the pink ring, just pass me a fork and I will go to town.
My youngest son loves brisket just as much as his father. He almost couldn't wait to get into it. When we finally got all the fixin's to go with it, I watched my son's eyes roll up in the back of his head. He doesn't say much but words were not needed when I saw his face. His dad got a thumbs up! Isn't that what every cook/chef looks for?

There was one more thing that the smoker was good for...

Need I say more??

7 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - Oh my goodness. That brisket looks so delicious. And I can't think of a better dessert to follow up barbecue with than a smoked s'more. I know you have been super busy, so I'm glad to see that you are blogging again. Hope the gang is doing well!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

My young Boss (vs the Old Boss) at work LOVES to BBQ - he has a big pellet BBQ/Smoker unit - every once in a while he will bring it in to work and do a brisket or a turkey - Yum-oh (to quote a certain Food Network star, LOL) Who ever stays to clean up gets to take home the left overs...!

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed, we have done two briskets so far and I think the first one turned out to be a bit more moist. I am waiting to see what a smoked turkey turns out like. I think we will do one or two this summer to practice for Thanksgiving. I love eating turkey year round so it won't go to waste.

Tina-Bless his heart. Boy that must be good eats when he brings the smoker to work. I would love a boss who did that. That should be team building day! I think I would be volunteering to clean up every single time. Nothing is better than left overs; good food and one night I don't have to cook!!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

What a sweet surprise! I foresee many years of enjoyment with your new toy.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You should try smoking a pork butt.... My smoker makes wonderful Carolina BBQ in San Antonio... I was home last month and was soooooo tempted to try and visit you (I live in San Antone but I'm from Chesapeake) but I thought that might be Stalkerish... Also, I'm the one that asked for the Mexican white sauce recipe and my mom found a recipe in the paper. It's close but no cigar, but maybe you can work with it.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

OMG that brisket looks good. But I don't miss Texas, I miss you! : )

Just popped by to say hi and let you know I've been thinking about you. Hope you had at least a little time to spend gardening this year, though I've about given up on mine for the summer. This morning I went out to find hundreds of ravenous blister beetles eating my already bug-bitten chard as fast as they could. I think I would have preferred to let the deer (who I think I finally blocked from the garden) eat it! ; )

Take care and don't forget to breathe--and eat! : )

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Farmgirl, I have missed blogging but jobs are getting in the way of me having a life. I have been cooking but just not anything really exciting. Our garden has been a huge disappoint for us this year. I am hoping we can try again next year and keep motivated to make it better every year. The heat is just horrible right now and who wants to garden at this point. I am looking for fall and winter garden ideas. Got any?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home