The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Beauty Unfolds.
Yesterday I was looking out the porch window when I heard a skuffle by the corner of the house. I could see the Sadie poking her nose at something as if to provoke it. Then Moose came over to give his expert opinion and then Charlie followed suit. I started to think about the baby racoon that we had to bury because of the same pow-wow. I dashed out on to the deck with a broom and looked at what all the fuss was about. I scattered the dogs by yelling at them to leave it alone. They lost interest because mom was having a melt down with a big blue broom in her hands.


Here is what all the fuss was about. Remember my parsley eating friends? Well they grew up without my supervision or me even knowing where they were. Last time I didn't get to see this part, and thanks to three noisy dogs I got to see what grew up after it ate all my parsley.




So here is to what eats my parsley almost every year and it's beauty unfolded...


13 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh! Vickie, they're so gorgeous! Doesn't it somehow seem okay that they ate your parsley now? Maybe not, but it could have just been trampled by something big and obnoxious - at least something beautiful came out of your garden even if it wasn't meant to be bright green parsley!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I was so lucky to get this shot. Yes, it is more than okay they ate all my parsley. I don't use most of it anyway so it just goes to seed, which is good in the long run. I don't know how I would feel about the deer trampling all my stuff or eating the majority of it either. So guess that little butterfly is really looking pretty great right now!

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

How nice! It's worth giving up some of the parsley for such beauty.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I don't mind. We don't eat all of it anyway so it went for a good cause. I just hope the word doesn't get around that I have a garden up for grabs!!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Oh, wow - how beautiful - I'm on my way to bed and thought I'd read ONE MORE BLOG - glad I chose yours - it will give me sweet dreams of bright blue butterflies. T.

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina-sounds like you and I do the same thing. I could sit for hours reading blogs and then finally I just can't see the screen anymore and have to say uncle! I wish I had planted a butterfly bush to attract more butterflies. Maybe this next spring I will plant a few. I just love them!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Re: Giant Sunflowers - John always starts some of them - especially the new varieties that he gets - in the greenhouse (or you could start them in the kitchen- whatever) but some just come back from year to year - I don't know how they escape the birds and the slugs, but they do. He then transplants these volunteers into rows - and UP they grow.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

tinathomsenpark at hotmail dot com

That is what he does - because ours is a "cold" greenhouse (ie not heated by other power than the sun) I think he plants them in flats and then transplants them out to the garden. I'll check with him to make sure - (we've got a little time til next spring) T.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

...just sending you a hug from Oregon because you were on my mind...

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Ewa said...

this butterfly is awsome!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Chef,
In an effort to get to know you better and have a little bloggy fun, I am tagging you in a meme
7 random/weird things about me

http://fancyglass.blogspot.com/2008/01/7-random-things-about-me-meme.html

Hope you will post up and join in the randomness.

*Lauren
http://www.fancyglass.blogspot.com

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Bobbisox said...

What a wonderful find your doggy friends pointed out to you. I wish I had butterflies like that here. I grow extra parsley, celery and fennel just to let them go to seed for the butterflies, but out here we get the swallowtails. Besides, we too can't keep up with all our parsley and the other plants.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I just have a very small container and they go right after it. The year before, nothing. '07 they went nuts not once but twice. They mowed it over once, it grew back and then they got it a second time when it grew back. Cracked me up. I haven't grown fennel but I love the stuff. Maybe I should try to get some to grow here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home