The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Men alone with the Food Network...very bad!

I knew I should not have headed off to the Knitting Corner for a few hours to get some help with a few slipped stitches. That meant, my darling husband was home alone with the remote and The Food Network. I have left him unattended before, but this time he really went over the edge. Hubby was home alone watching Paula Deen evidently.

I love her shows because she cooks with real food that anyone has access to. She seems to be an authentic person and I just love the way she laughs. But I have to say, she seems to have this really weird hold on my husband. He just loves her shows! We have to watch them when they are on and now he has gotten hooked on her son's show Road Tasted. While I love all the shows, I don't really use any of the recipes. I can't use all that butter and we don't do a lot of fried foods anymore. So watching is just to appease hubby.

I should have learned my lesson when I left hubby alone with Tyler Florence. That one cost us a fortune in extra groceries. It was a tasty meal, but a lot of work for me. This time I didn't left a finger and got some benefits (in pounds) from all of his work.

Hubby headed off to the store with a list in his hand. I had not idea what he was up to, but I had give him a few things to pick up for a Labor Day cookout. I did knot know he had added things to the list. Boy did he ever!

I sat in the chair knitting away while he did his thing in the kitchen. He stopped and asked me a few questions, but he really did do all of this himself.

This is what he made. I didn't ask about the ingredients but I could smell chocolate wafting throughout the house. It drove me nuts and after the help I got at The Knitting Corner, I dropped some stitches thinking about what on earth that was.

Here are the results. It certainly looks innocent enough, but don't be deceived...there was more to come.Not only was hubby trying to knock my socks off with this slice of chocolate pie that tasted like a brownie, but then he made me put ice cream on the top. My eyes rolled up into the back of my head with one bite. It was like a brownie baked in a pie shell with pecans scattered throughout. Then the ice cream just sent me over the edge. I am not supposed to have sugar or ice cream either one. Do you think hubby is looking for my life insurance policy as I sit here and type??

The recipe is below:

Corrie's Kentucky Pie

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups sugar

1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels, melted

1 cup sifted self-raising flour

1 cup (2 sticks of butter), melted

2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups chopped pecans

2 (9 inch) deep dish unbaked pie shells or 3 (9 inch) unbaked regular pie shells

Ice Cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine eggs, sugar, and melted chocolate in large bowl. Add flour and mix well, stirring in remaining ingredients except for pie shells. Bake 30-40 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream. Freezes well!


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home