The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

What's for Breakfast?

I am a HUGE fan of breakfast. I rarely eat it during the week but on the weekends when I have time I like to try new things. I love

On Satuday mornings, I get up with the dogs at 3-yes that's AM and then curl up in my favorite chair and fall asleep watching some LMN movie with at least two of the four dogs in my lap. I wake up starved and the creative juices start to flow. Should I have the standard breakfast? How about an omlet? Blueberry pancakes? French Toast? Mock McMuffin? Bagel and Morning Star sausage? Too many choices!
Lucky for me we had spaghetti for dinner the other night and hub came home with a nice loaf of French bread. I used it for garlic toast and had more than half the loaf left over. I have no idea where this came from, but I had a dream about Banana Stuffed French Toast. I think I have seem it on some Martha Stewart show many years ago, but never wrote it down and never have looked up that kind of recipe either. So this morning it sounded like it would hit the spot.

I had some sad looking bananas sitting on the kitchen counter and I was good to go. I took some of the left over French bread and cut 4 huge slices of it. I cut a pocket in each one the way you would if you were stuffing a pork chop or a chicken breast. One banana was good for two of the bread slices. So I stuffed about half a banana in each bread pocket. I cracked two eggs (the only two I had left in the house) and put about 1/2 cup of milk in the bowl
.


I thought I remembered something about vanilla being added in the Martha version so I put about 1 tsp in with the milk and egg. I plunked the bread into the liquid and let it sit while I got the skillet out. Then I flopped it over to the other side. It was a like a huge sponge. I started to get nervous because there wasn't very much liquid for the second set of pockets. I used about 2 TBS of butter in a non-stick skillet and set the two wet pockets in the pan. I had to add more milk to the bowl so that the second set could soak up what was left.




I managed to get all four pockets in the pan together. I let them get golden brown and then flipped them over. In hind site, I could have put some cinnamon on the bananas and that would have added some more flavor. Anyway, I got them all cooked and ....



And breakfast from a dream is created!! IN case you don't have dreams like mine. Here is version of Stuffed Banana French Toast that sounds really good!

8 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

okay! i found our breakfast next weekend - this sounds fabulous!! i like your dreamy visions! but girl, why on earth do you get up so early???

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle-Hubby and I have this agreement about the dogs. He gets up with them during the week because he has to go to work pretty early and I get to sleep until 6. On the weekends to give him a break (it's his only time to sleep past 4) I get up with the dogs on both days. Remember I have little dogs with little bladders. So now they are in the habit of this routine and boy it's a toughy to break!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Don't tell LB your arrangement! Right now we trade off on weekdays to get up with the dogs (at 6:30) and that person makes the coffee, feeds the pooches and let's 'em out, and then gets the shower going...on weekends LB gets up early (he says he can't sleep late on the weekends - go figure) and takes the dogs so that I can sleep in! Then I get breakfast...I love the weekends :) Your arrangement sounds much more fair! I hope you and hubby had a good weekend!!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Oh wow, Vickie, that sounds so delicious! I'm gonna have to try this one, perhaps with a smidgeon of peanut butter a la Elvis. And I'm sure that your crew make for eally effective lap warmers.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I am still working on perfecting this but the first batch turned out much better than I thought. I think the a' la Elvis peanut butter is a great idea. Maybe a smear in the middle before you stuff it with the bananas? I love chunky peanutbutter and that would add yet another element to the whole thing. Great idea Ed. The lap warmers are doing well. How are yours?

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

Yum, that is truly a vision to behold!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

It was tasty but I think I need to try some new things with it. It's aways a work in progress!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Theresa in Mèrida said...

Wow! We just had these this morning, wonderful! I served them with sour orange marmelade instead of syrup or powdered sugar, awesome! I was blogging about bananas so I added a link to your entry here.
regards,
Theresa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home